Compact fluorescent lamps or CFL bulbs are not as safe and environment friendly as they have been made to be. Studies reveal their potentials to cause skin damage which is often irreversible. Ultraviolet radiations which finds its way through these lamps is responsible for this. There is a case of an Israeli farm where residents developed skin cancer because of their affinity with CFLs.
One of the biggest disadvantages of using CFLs is that they contain some amount of mercury. This is a toxic element, the presence of which makes the disposal of CFLs a problem.
CFL bulbs are known to use mercury within them. Mercury is in itself a harmful element for humans, even if it is in small quantities. The federal government has passed legislations in this context limiting the content of mercury in these lamps. There are limitations of 3.5 milligrams of mercury in a bulb. The limit can be dropped down to 2.5 mg in a years time.
CFL lamps and bulbs are highly sensitive to natural elements. They should always be used outdoors with some amount of constraint and precaution. They are very sensitive to fluctuations in temperature, and a low temperature can always mean light of lower level.
Although CFL lamps can push down the electricity bill that one gets at the end of the month, they are liable to emit ultraviolet radiations. They in turn can cause visible damage to the skin and in extreme cases, even cause cancer. Incandescent bulbs, on the other hand, do not hold the potential for such damage. The effect can be compared to taking a sunbath at the equator.